Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Obituary-Thomas Francis Flannery


Funeral services, which were held this morning for the late Thomas Flannery, former Leadville resident, were largely attended by local friends and a representation of Gilman citizens, as he had been living at Gilman for the past twenty-three years. The services were held at 9:30 this morning from the Church of the Annunciation, the funeral cortege leaving the Moynahan-O'Malia funeral chapel at 1 o'clock.

Rev. Father E. L. Horgan officiated at mass. Two vocal solos, "Prayer for Happy Death" and "One Fleeting Hour" were sung by Mrs. Kate Forman, accompanied by Miss Mary Genry, organist.

Interment was in St. Joseph's cemetery and the pallbearers, all citizens of Gilman, Colorado, were Pete Doyle, John Doyle, O.R. Abrahamsen, John Curran, Adam Houck, and Thomas Daviney.

Born in New York City, February 1, 1872, he came to Colorado when he was about twelve years of age. After settling for a time in the San Luis valley, he later moved to Leadville when the town was in its boom.

He engaged as a miner here for several years.

He was married in Leadville when he was about twenty-one, to Catherine Barlow and twenty-three years ago he and his family moved to Gilman, Colorado, where he followed his occupation as a miner and shaft foreman.

During the influenze epidemic in 1918 he lost his wife and two sons, who were buried in Leadville within a period of ten days.

While he made his home at Gilman, he gained many friends as was evidenced by the number of floral tributes and the attendance at the funeral services. Numbered among the floral tributes were many large set pieces and a broken wheel from the Gilman community.

He died in a Salida hospital last Friday morning from injuries incurred the previous morning, when he fell from a pipe line at the tailings pond of the Empie Zinc company, where he had been employed for the past four or five years. Following the accident he was taken to the hospital at Salida via ambulance, and the death resulted from a punctured lung, caused by a fractured rib. For several years he had been employed as a shaft foreman but, recently, because of failing health, had been transfered to outdoor work; and it was while working on the pipe line that he fell to the ground, Thursday morning. He was rushed to the Gilman hospital and sent from there to Salida.

The only surviving member of his family, a married daughter, Mrs. Leo Jones of Oakland, California, arrived here after being notified of her father's death. He is also survived by a son-in-law, Leo Jones and three grandchildren, Patricia, Barbara and Milford Jones.

A sister-in-law, Mrs. Nellie Nolan of Lake City, Colorado and a niece Mrs. Hazel Willaims of Victor, Colorado together with Mr. Nolan and Mr. Williams were here for the funeral services.

(A Leadville Paper-dated July 2, 1931)

FLANNERY, Thomas-Thomas FLANNERY met his death Thursday, June 25, when he fell from a flume scaffolding at Rex and sustained fatal injuries when he survived but a few hours.

Tom FLANNERY was one of the old-time residents of Gilman were he had followed mining for many years. For the past several yeas he has been an underground shift boss for the Empire Zinc company, but this spring he suffered a severe attack of pneumonia and when he was dismissed from the hospital recently, was given outside employment by the company, until he had fully recovered. At the time of his death he was acting as inspector of the long pipe line which conveys the refuse matter from the zinc mill three miles to the settling pond on the old BOLT ranch. His duties were to patrol the line each day. The pipe passes over a high trestle near Rex and it was at this point he met with mishap which brought about his death. The injured man was placed on Train No. 16 and taken to Salida, but died enroute to the hospital.

We were unable to get any information of the funeral or burial. Mr. FLANNERY is survived by several children, his wife having preceded him in death.

(Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1 Dated:3 July 1931)

NOTE:Thomas FLANNERY died on Friday the 26th. Milford JONES' name was changed to Leo Thomas JONES-Leo after his father and Thomas after his maternal grandfather.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home